Fuel consumption. What are the reasons and how to control it?
The question of fuel consumption is important, as it allows you to identify problems with the car and also directly relates to your finances.
So, increased fuel consumption often indicates a technical malfunction of the car. Finding these causes can be very long and time-consuming, but there are a number of breakdowns that often cause high fuel consumption by the car.
- ECU (Electronic Сontrol Unit) or indicators of the sensors. Faulty sensors send erroneous data to the unit and therefore the computer sends other settings to the auto control. In this case, most often the sensor "Check engine" on the dashboard is lit.
- Mass air sensor. In case of violation of its tightness, the air supply is distorted, the indicators fall. Ignoring such a minor, at first glance breakage, can lead to serious problems with the engine.
- Lambda sensor-oxygen sensor or probe requires replacement.
- Clogged fuel and/or air filter. If you have not checked the filters of the car for a long time, it's time to do it.
- Clogged exhaust channel of the cylinder head or a clogged catalyst.
- The wear of the piston group. Problems can be in the engine; this type of damage is often characteristic of cars with high mileage.
- Spark plugs are something that you should check after auto electronics.
- Fuel leak. With this problem, at least once, faced every experienced car owner.
- Check the tire pressure. At low pressure, a high resistance is manifested, and the car spends excessive efforts to overcome it.
However, it should be understood that minor deviations from the indicators may depend on how long you have been in traffic, how many passengers and Luggage you had, whether you used the air conditioning system, how powerful the audio system is in your car.
How to reduce fuel consumption?
- Check the vehicle for technical faults.
- Check the car for errors in the electronic system using the inCarDoc application.
- Pay attention to your driving style. In this case, a lot of nuances that can significantly affect fuel consumption.
- Fuel and engine oil quality.
- If possible, unload the vehicle. This will significantly reduce the cost.
- Control the fuel consumption, then you will be able to identify the reasons that influenced it. This can be done as well with inCarDoc. Economizer
The inCarDoc Economizer widget is presenting and tracking the car’s fuel economy/consumption. Available both in-drive (instant and average MPG) as well as per trip, per day and other statistics.
- Economy fuel - instantaneous flow rate (for "single" current values) measured in liters per 100 km (or gallons per 100 miles).
- Economy fuel avg - the average consumption for the whole trip (up to the current moment), measured in liters per 100 km (or gallons per 100 miles).
- Economy distance - instantaneous flow rate (for "single" current values) measured in km per 1 liter (or miles per gallon).
- Economy distance avg - average consumption for the whole trip (up to the current moment) is measured in km per 1 liter (or miles per gallon).